Open Farm Days!
Every 1st Sunday from March through September Hux Family Farm is open to the public from 2:00-5:00 PM. Perfect activity to entertain the kids and grandkids after lunch. We recommend wearing clothes to get dirty to play with goats, so please don’t wear your Sunday best.
- Activities will vary each goat day, but you are sure to find something fun and exciting to do!
- Everyone is welcome. All ages, individuals, and families. Come join us for lots of goat fun!
- Please see the side bar for the updated list of future dates.
This is a free event, but we will accept donations and have products that you can buy to help to support our mission of engaging and teaching kids to love both learning and nature. We have soaps and occasionally have herbs or other produce for sale.
- Goat playtime
- We have Dwarf Nigerian Goats to play with (and a few sheep). These are smaller than normal goats, and currently we have babies! This makes them excellent for younger kids and people scared of larger animals
- Aquaponics Presentation
- We have an aquaponic system that we use to grow some of our crops. This is a very sustainable way to grow crops that uses about 90% less water than traditional gardening. It has no chemicals used and produces both plants and fish for consumption. If you are interested in seeing the system and learning the science behind it be sure to be there for the presentation.
- Goat Milking.
- We will get Catarina up on the milk stand and let people try their hand at milking a goat.
- Bring the hiking boots and fishing poles. Our land backs up into Falls Lake State Park, this presents a perfect opportunity to explore and hike the part of the Mountain-to-sea trail that runs right by our street or go fishing. Be sure to come early or stay after and enjoy one of our favorite perks of living in this area.
Other potential activities include:
- Baby goat races
- Face painting
- Bubble activities
- Mosaic making
- Soap making (and purchasing if stock is available)
- Cheese tasting
- Goat milking
- SnowCones for goats
- Herb, Vegetable, and Fruit picking (can also purchase these when they are available)
- Other outdoor activities and games for kids and adults
As mentioned earlier we are located a 5-10 min. walk from Falls Lake and the mountain to sea hiking trail. Please feel to take a walk to the lake and explore for a bit while you are here, just be careful not to block anyone in with your car.